Regular followers of my blog, will know that I have previously blogged about different ways of trimming or cropping YouTube videos to use in different situations, e.g:
- How to chop a YouTube video and embed it into PowerPoint.
- Cropping a YouTube video before adding to Moodle.
Trimming videos can be really valuable, as often (in education) there may be a key message or element in a video, that we want to draw attention to, without having to show the entire video, so carefully selecting sections of the video can drastically improve the impact of using that video as a resource.
Up until recently, something that I couldn’t do was to get this to work in WordPress, I could only embed the whole video – however today I found out that I can do trim a video, if you follow these instructions exactly:
- Locate the video you want on YouTube.
- Under the video choose ‘Share’ and then ‘Embed’.
- Underneath the preview, there will be some tick boxes – make sure the one called ‘Show suggested videos when the video finishes‘ is unticked (this is really important).
- Copy the embed code that is above the preview.
- Go into your WordPress post, and into the HTML editor.
- Paste the copied embed code in the correct position.
- Preview your post.
- Go back to edit your post, and again into the HTML editor.
- The code that you pasted in, will have been changed, towards the end of it, locate the text rel=0.
- Immediately after rel=0 add &start=xxx&end=yyy (where xxx is the number of seconds you want the video to start at and yyy is the number of seconds you want the video to end at).
- Preview your post – if it works then publish.
So – if I have a video that I want to start at 2:35 and end at 3:15 – I convert these into seconds (2:35 = 155, 3:15 = 195) – and the end of the code will change from:
Below is an example of one of my YouTube videos, trimmed to start at 155 seconds and end at 195 seconds.
Filed under: CPD and reflective practice, e-learning, google, How do I...?, social software (web 2.0), wordpress | Tagged: #FELTAG, Blog, chop, crop, embed, learning]video, Student, teacher, Trim, wordpress, youtube |