I have recently upgraded my windows computer from Windows 8 to Windows 10, which in general is great, but it did cause a problem with outlook 2013, in that some messages wouldn’t send. The problem wasn’t consistent, which was confusing, I tried searching the internet for help, but the solutions offered all seem very complicated, so I contacted my web host, who talked me through the solution, which worked, so I thought that I would share this here.
Please note – I am not technically orientated, I am just repeating the steps for my benefit in case I need it in the future – if you follow these steps, you do so at your own risk, and if it doesn’t solve your problem, please don’t ask me – I won’t know the answer.
So to solve the problem:
- I right clicked on Windows icon.
- I selected command prompt (admin)
- I typed “sfc/scannow” then enter.
- I let this run the scan (took about 15 minutes).
- Once scan had finished I closed down Outlook and then restarted it.
As mentioned earlier, I am not technically minded, so I have no idea what is happening with the above apart from it appeared to fix my problem.